Sunday, August 30, 2009

Service

I just got back from a great 5th sunday lesson on Service. I had an AHA moment. Have you ever had one of those. When you feel the spirit and just cannnot wait to share what you have learned with everyone you know. I figure if it was an AHA moment for me, then it will most likely help someone else too.

The member of our Stake Presidency said that sometimes we feel overwhelmed by the amount of service that we are expected to give. He said in simpler terms, that we should first serve our spouse, then our children, then our home and visiting teaching families, and then our callings. Finally, after all of these things are done, we can look to lend a helping hand elsewhere. It is not necessarily about the size of your green jello salad or the creativity of your last New Beginnings. It is about serving someone daily.

He counseled us to pray every day and ask. "Please help me to serve whom I need to Today!" He promised that if we would ask sincerely every day, that He would present us with opportunities to serve those people that need us and our skills most that day. That doesn't seem to bad does it. It surely lightens the load of overwhelming service and reminds us of the important things in life. I think that we love most whom we serve most, and also that we are the happiest when we are serving others. Just think how happy we would all be if we could be his tool to serve whom he needed us to serve the most every day. Let's do it!

3 comments:

McArthurs said...

This is a good reminder. Thanks for the post, i needed to see that. Plus, i just read your post about Cassadee. What a sweet little girl!

Jennie Decker said...

So true, thanks for the reminder. I hope all is well with you and your cute family!

robyncox said...

Well Jodi girl you have done it to me again. I had read the first few lines of this post a few days ago but not all of it. I have had a really bad day today and your thoughts have given me another boost to get through another moment in my path. Thank you for being who you are and sharing those things that continue to touch my heart. R